Friday, April 24, 2015

The #ProjectScouted team behind the camera – Caroline Burne

Caroline Burne’s photography is larger than life. Just take a look at her images of the Top 5 from the Phase Eleven shoot in Cycle 1 of #ProjectScouted. After having set up, the location resembled a Hollywood movie set and the Top 5 ladies were the starring heroines. Currently working as a principle studio and freelance photographer, Caroline discovered her passion and flair for photography rather recently but has made serious headway and rapid progress. This year, Caroline promises to give the Top 10 girls the experience of a lifetime with a shoot that they will never forget.



Lee Folkard Photography: How did you discover your passion for photography?
Caroline: I only got into photography in my late twenties. My boyfriend was photographing the scene at the time and I was instantly drawn to it.  I bought a Nikon D60 and started shooting social pics at night clubs. And then, only two months later I sold my little D60 and upgraded to a D300. I haven’t looked back or questioned my choice in this field since. Apart from learning about the industry and the technicalities of photography on my own, I also felt it was important that I learnt the fundamentals of the art in order to better equip myself. So I went to Vega School of Brand Leadership and completed a year of studies, after which I began working for a studio.

LFP: What do you love most about photographing people?
Caroline: The aspect that I love the most about photographing people is that moment when a client who insists they aren’t photogenic or is very shy comes out of their shell in front of the camera or sees themselves in a way they haven’t seen themselves before. In that moment, you can see a genuine happiness because you have shown them something about themselves that they may have been longing to see. They hold their heads a little higher and walk with more confidence than they did before.  That’s always a good moment for me as an artist.



LFP: Is there anyone that you dream of shooting?
Caroline: I would love to shoot Bjork! I’m a big dreamer! I just feel that she knows how to take risks and bring the dramatic to everything she does, which really appeals to me.



LFP: For you, what makes a beautiful photograph?
Caroline: I find it really hard to say what makes a photograph beautiful. But I think it’s just that feeling you get when you’re looking at an image, whether it’s the mystery of a black and white cityscape or the allure of a secret hidden in a subtle smile or just a soft glow emanating from the image. I think that a beautiful image is one that manages to evoke an emotion.



LFP: Having been a part of #ProjectScouted last year, what made you want to return to Cycle 2 this year?
Caroline: Last cycle I met some really amazing people with awesome skills and talents. I was fortunate enough to work with the beautiful Charelle McAllister and what Charelle can do with a make-up brush is nothing less than pure perfection. I love that the Project presents the opportunity to network with people who are experts in their fields and also the chance to work with them. When you get that opportunity to meet and work with new people, especially in this industry, you take it!



LFP: Any tips for the #ProjectScouted girls who you will be shooting?
Caroline: My advice to the girls would be that they should not just rely on being ‘a pretty face’. You need to bring character and personality to each one of your images because you never know which shot is going to be that perfect one. Practice your angles and posing before the shoot if you can – elongate your neck, always pose with tension, and don’t stay in the same pose. Always mix it up, keep moving, take chances, and be innovative!

LFP: It’s going to be difficult to better on your shoot from last year. Are you willing to share any info about the phase you are shooting?
Caroline: I’ll just say that this year it’s all about the glam!


This is the point in the Project when there is no room for complacency from the girls as we are down to our Top 10, with 11 having been eliminated after the Shoelaced Clothing fashion show last week. Inspired by the pioneer photographer, Ansel Adams and his words, “You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, and the people you have loved,” Caroline brings depth and poignancy to her work. This phase is going to be the most demanding yet because we know that Caroline will be pulling out all the stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment